TMA Down Time

TMA Down Time
Art by @spoiledchestnut

Monday, November 6, 2017

Session 25



When I plane-shifted back to Illium, I found all of my friends there waiting. Thanks to boons from the Primordial, things were mostly back to normal. Mostly. There were now two Maziels, not clones, but living, breathing, scolding Maziels. Everyone else had their clones “deactivated,” which caused enough chaos as all of them collapsed suddenly throughout the city. So, we collectively dumped the spare bodies at the Mage’s Guild. What they did with them, I didn’t ask.
As for Primus, the man-made god had been disabled in a time spell like Solstice, so he was a threat for a later day. Klotonk also had another version of himself, but this one functioned on a soul gem much like Feeps. It annoyed me that this Klotonk bot was dragged everywhere on a cart, so I awakened a tree to serve as Treetonk’s legs. Now I could accurately say one of my good friends was a tree.
Startling of all was the pair of goliaths Cosmo had brought to Illium, former traveling companions of my friends. They were twins, a brother and sister. Kolae was a paladin of Melora, while Odison was a cleric of Pelor. Both didn’t seem to enjoy letting Primus sit in a time spell while some dragon, a nidhogg, needed slaying. I didn’t bother asking about their particular desire for revenge though, I had a castle to pretend I never left. Of course, that didn’t last long either.
Klotonk’s house was packed with people, so leaving Nails there was out. I decided to take her to the Sump. I didn’t think a Tiamat cultist was going to do very well in Illium, even if she didn’t remember her past. I hoped Dmitri the Miracle Worker might be able to bring back her memories. If she decided to try and kill me after that, I knew the risks.
It had been well over a year since I was last in Stilt Town, and I expected to see the rebuilt, if rundown village I almost burned to the ground. I didn't expect it to be gone entirely. The Muk Muk tribe of bullywugs were all but gone, and there wasn't an orc in sight. All I could see was a small hilltop amid the trees, and there, a small group of dwarves were laying the foundation for a building of some sort. The hill moved, as if trying to get comfortable, and everyone stopped working. They waited for the mound to stand still, then they resumed.
I turned, mouth ajar, to Maziel who had, for whatever reason, insisted on coming. Dagon, who had also tagged along for reasons unknown, ran off to the dwarves calling out, “My Prince!”
“There’s a perfectly good explanation,” Maziel said aloud.
“How did I know you were behind this?!”
Maziel held up a single gloved finger. “The drow invaded,” she responded simply.
I crossed my arms and awaited the rest. A miracle could wait.
“They took control of almost all of the Sump a few months back. The Muk Muks conceded, and fled deeper into the swamp. The orcs...Gnasha...didn't.”
“You're telling me this now?”
Maziel shrugged. “You seemed stressed enough with Illium.” She was silent for a few moments. “I, well one of my clones, really did try to help, even begged Gnasha to surrender…”
“I'm guessing that went well.”
“I took off her hand in battle and she took me prisoner. Then the drow army stormed in, burning the place to the ground.”
I heard Nails exhale beside me. I looked around and Maziel seemed to read my thoughts. “They're gone. Remember that insufferable group who called themselves Ornamental Chaos? Well...they allied with the Glaistig, and they and a forest army kicked the drow out.”
I cringed at the mention of the powerful Fey who killed my father. That was a hatred I let lie for the time being.
Maziel nodded her head at the hilltop. “Prince Xee was among the drow’s captives. We were freed, and he set to work making “amends” or whatever.”
“Where are the drow now?” I questioned bluntly.
“Somewhere in the Asimba Mountains, near Lowfort. Likely plotting their next move. They took many of the orcs as slaves.”
I cursed softly. Another item added to my list. If the drow were hungry for a territory to call home, somewhere besides the Underdark, it was only a matter of time before Illium got involved. Hopefully I could resolve things before then.
I turned and patted Nails on the arm. “Come on, let's find who we came for. I bet the drow couldn’t force him out.”
Sure enough, I found the albino in the same run down temple I had met him in last. When things were very different, and my world had only recently be turned upside down.
Nails went in alone, to make whatever agreement Dmitri sought, so I leaned against the doorway and waited. I made it a point to check on Radiant, but the sword that followed me didn’t seem to be interested in anything but killing dragons.
After about fifteen minutes, Nails exited the temple. She didn’t meet my eye at first, and I knew at once she remember everything.
“I’m sorry,” she said in a low voice, lifting her gaze to meet mine.
“For?”
“What we did in Illium…”
We held stares for a few minutes, and I could see the genuine guilt. “It’s all right, but now that you know…”
Nails was already shaking her head. “I’ve no intention of following Tiamat. It almost killed me in that tower.”
I nodded my head. “You’re free to come back to Illium you know. I just wanted you to have your memories back.”
Nails returned a warm smile. “You’ve been nothing but welcoming to someone who doesn't deserve it. But no, my path now lies in rectifying my mistakes.”
I held out my hand, and she took it. “Then best of luck to you. Stay safe.” I said, actually hoping she found atonement in whatever she was after.
“Thank you, Taelim. I owe you everything,” she replied. Without looking back, Nails turned and headed down a beaten path, eventually disappearing from sight.
After a few moments, I regrouped with the other two. I stopped in my tracks when I found Dagon sitting on the foundation of a fallen building. I hesitated, then did a double take. His arms were...normal. Gone were the silver hands of his punishment, and in those hands, he was holding what looked to be a very old, dwarven key.
Dagon blinked up at me. “Prince Xee…he’s forgiven me. He removed my curse.”
“That’s good, right?” I replied, peeking at Maziel who just shrugged.
Dagon waved the key distractedly. “He gave me the key to his kingdom…like he expects me to take over.”
I grinned and slapped Dagon on the back. “That’s great, you’re royalty now.” I paused for a heartbeat, my smile becoming a frown. “For your information, it blows. But, good luck.”
He gaped at me with sorrowful eyes.
Maziel saved me from another pep talk. “Taelim, take us back. Our business is concluded.”



Admittedly, I had grown to like the goliath woman called Kolae. Except her repeated attempts to convert me to Melora, but other than that, we got along. I especially enjoyed her spars with our soldiers, and by spars I mean how she almost always went untouched while she easily subdued the others.
As Kolae wrapped up one of her bouts, a tiny pygmy hawk landed on my shoulder. I took it into my hands and set to stroking its unbearably soft feathers.
“You. Are. Adorable.” I assured the diminutive creature, though it undoubtedly knew this to be true.
“He’s grown quiet fond of you,” Kolae’s deep voice interrupted my cooing.
“This is the real reason I come to watch you beat my troops into submission.”
The pygmy hawk called Little Oddie chirped in my hands, and I practically smothered it in affection.
“We’re all heading to the Asimba Mountains, for the dwarf’s sake,” Kolae said in her calm, methodical voice. “He seeks revenge on the corrupt queen of his people.”
“Something about Zuggtmoy I heard.”
“A foul alliance which we will right,” Kolae finished.
I blinked at her, but her features were hard and determined. Paladin. Riiight.
“You know I can’t come,” I started to explain. “I’ve gotten an earful from Illium’s counsel, and I promised Killian I’d meet with Lord Gerald Blacktower.”
Kolae just shrugged, clearly my business was none of her concern. She was watching Oddie.
“Perhaps he should stay with you,” Kolae inclined her head at the hawk.
I chuckled softly. “I can’t take your pet.”
“He’s not mine,” she replied softly. “Melora sent him to me, when I thought I lost my brother. He was my comfort. Now, I’m reunited with Odison, and this one seems to bring you some joy here.”
I let the small hawk nestle between my shoulder and neck, trying to ignore the tickle. “Well, I can’t say no to that. Unless this is a bribe to serve Melora, then no.”
Kolae threw her head back and laughed. “I don’t deal in bribes and trickery, young druid.” She rose to her feet, standing well over eight and a half feet tall. She bent down and placed a massive palm on my back. “Treat him well.”


I saw my friends off, transporting them via trees to the Sump. There they would trek all the way to the Asimba Mountains. It would be long, cold and treacherous, and I envied them. I turned back to the castle, tugging at my refined clothes. I tried, with every ounce of my willpower, to appear civil as I sat in the dining hall, welcoming the old noble in.
Of all the lords and ladies I had encountered as Illium’s princess, Lord Blacktower was by far the most unpretentious of the lot. Yet, it was his farmlands up north that Illium depended on, especially since the south was still recovering from the salted fields the Wroth left in their wake a year ago. He sat down ungraciously, accepting a generous glass of wine.
“Princess,” Gerald nodded. Since I last saw him almost six years ago, time hadn’t been his friend. His salt and pepper hair was swept back, heavily favoring the white. He hadn’t bothered to shave his stubble, making him more grizzled than gentlemanly. He downed his drink, and reached for the decanter.
I raised an eyebrow. “I’m guessing this isn’t a social call, Lord Blacktower.”
He chuckled, amused. “Princess Taelim, always to the point. I admire that.”
“I’m not my father, and no one expects me to be. What can I help you with?”
Gerald Blacktower folded his hands on the table and leaned forward. “I’ve come for Jayce Valium.”
The name went through me like an electric current. Valium. I emptied my own glass. Holy shit, he’s still made of stone.
Blacktower picked up on my reluctance at once. “Lord Valium's house doesn’t deny the acts he committed, which almost ruined Illium, nor the justice he received. However…”
“His house is struggling up north.” I guessed.
Gerald nodded. “His stock was an old one, a respected one. Right now, the north is doing everything it can to support the rest of the kingdom. He may have failed as ruler, but he was a good lord who knew his lands well. Right now, we need that.”
He was staring at me now, almost pleading. But he had a point, and I had allowed a personal grudge to get in the way.
“All right,” I conceded, my voice distant. “I’ll release him.”
Gerald exhaled deeply. “You have my thanks, Princess. Managing the north will be that much easier. I assure you, we’ll see to it he serves out whatever term you have given him--”
I shook my head and held up my hand. “He’s served his time. Take him back north where he’ll at least be useful.”
Blacktower bowed his head. “You have my word. Once our business is wrapped up in the city, I will set off at once with Lord Valium.”
I didn’t bother to add anything else. By that time, dinner was being served. I peered down at the elaborate dish before me, but I had already lost my appetite.



Killian and I walked along the dark corridors of the dungeon in silence. I had asked him to tag along while I removed Valium’s petrification curse. He seemed to grasp my aversion to the task, and obliged me. I didn’t fail to notice the sword he strapped to his waist.
In the last cell, in the farthest reaches of our prison, we stopped. I unlocked the heavy door and threw it open. There, in the center of the space, was the stone figure of Jayce Valium, bearing a look of shock on his frozen face.
“You ready for this?” I asked Killian.
His blue eyes regarded me calmly, and he posted beside the door. “Whenever you are.”
I reached up and placed a hand on the stone, channeling restorative properties and dispelling the curse. Slowly, the stone melted away, and Valium was blinking in the dim, torchlit room.
“Taelim?” He uttered, a mixture of shock and confusion.
Though I had seen him a year ago, he hadn’t seen me. He had only known the wolf about to tear his throat out before Feeps interfered. Now, I faced him for the first time in years. For once, unafraid to do so.
“That’s right, Valium,” I said coolly. I pointed over to where Killian was leaning against the doorway, bearing a cocksure grin. “You remember, Killian right? You’ll be pleased to know he’s now the rightful King of Illium.”
Valium’s mouth fell open, which only widened Killian’s smile. “B-but...what happened?”
“I don’t have time to give a retelling, and frankly, I don’t want to. Lord Blacktower is waiting for you upstairs.” My eyes narrowed. “Are you going to cooperate?”
Killian moved toward me, and Valium’s eyes darted between us. He clicked his teeth, annoyed. “Just take me to Blacktower.”
“With pleasure,” I said, and led the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment