TMA Down Time

TMA Down Time
Art by @spoiledchestnut

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Session 8

Distracted, I followed the party down a winding passage of ivory stone. My thoughts kept returning back to Killian, Illium and what I had to do next. I feared and longed for it. I just wanted to get the truth out there, it was the only way to release me from my responsibilities. The question was: would I actually be free, or would some part of me still feel obligated to the kingdom?
“So, what's the deal between you and this Killian guy? Zan asked casually.
“Nothing,” I replied, far too quick. “He works for Illium.”
Zan lifted an eyebrow, and just when I thought I ended the topic, another voice spoke up.
“Oh come now, Taelim,” Feeps began cheerfully. “You had quite the crush on him.”
I stopped and looked at the warforged aghast while Zan burst into laughter.
Feeps didn’t realize his betrayal, he simply patted me on the head as he continued past.
Maziel held up a fist, signaling for our silence. We fell in line as the drow quietly ushered us into the grand room ahead.
There we all stopped in our tracks, measuring shock and awe collectively. A titanic black serpent filled the space, large enough to make the Primordial bones we encountered earlier feel childishly small.
It coiled around a shimmering white orb that was nothing short of enticing. Otherworldly eyes watched us, its tongue tasting the air.
“Step forward,” the Primordial spoke in a language older than this realm, yet somehow coherent to our ears. “Let each of you state your wish and be done with it.”
Naturally we hesitated. Slowly, Maziel stepped forward. The drow lowered their hood, a mane of wild white hair falling around their shoulders. Before they got closer, they turned back to us. “You may or may not have already guessed this, but I am in fact a female drow.”
Cosmo was the only one who audibly gasped. I think the rest of us had a feeling, but didn't much care otherwise.
“I deliberately hid this to make a point. Society in drow culture is backwards to say the least, perceiving strength and power solely if you are female and strong enough to best others around you. Kill or be killed.” Maziel squeezed her eyes shut, as if forcing away some painful memory. “Thank you all for helping me here, and may this wish allow me to change what I couldn't have otherwise.” She turned and walked toward the Primordial proudly and there whispered her wish. When she was done, she simply stepped off to the  side, smiling broadly.
“Me next!” Cosmo bolted forward. We watched as he eagerly babbled something. A bark sounded in that direction, and Cosmo flung open his backpack and produced a fluffy dog that licked his face adoringly.
Excitedly, the kender ran over to us, the dog at his heels. “Guys meet Barnaby!”
“You asked for a dog?!” Zan exclaimed incredulously.
“I'm not just any dog,” Barnaby yipped. “I'm his conscience!” With that, the dog hopped back into Cosmo's pack, sticking its head out while a pink tongue lolled to one side of its mouth.
The two rushed off toward Maziel as the rest of us stared after, unbelieving.
Klotonk made his way over, equally as contemplative as Maziel. When the gnome returned brooding,  no one questioned the sanctity of his choice.
Feeps went next, a clear wish on his mind. He returned to me whistling a strange, enticing tune. He winked, satisfied that his new beat could break charms.
Zan followed right after, and we all but heard him curse the undead, having had enough of them for a lifetime. He came back pleased, now undead would no longer be able to detect him.
Mattias and I looked at each other. “Please, princess, after you.” He extended a hand.
I hesitated. “To be honest, I don’t really know what I want. I think you do though, so go ahead.”
Mattias grinned, a smile so full of eagerness that it bordered innocence. It was as if he had waited for this moment his entire life. He nodded, thankfully, and all but ran over to the Primordial.
“You don’t have a wish?” Feeps said to me quietly.
I shrugged. “Not really. I’m not about to bring back the dead if that’s what you’re thinking. Dad already said no.”
“Is there nothing you want?”
I paused to consider it. I really had come along at the request of my friends. “Maybe five years ago. Now I’m in control of my own life, so I’m sort of going along with the flow.”
Feeps  wrapped an arm around my shoulder. “How you have grown, Taelim.”
I snorted. “Don’t get your hopes up.”
Ahead, something peculiar happened. Where plain Mattias once stood, a different man took his place. He wore elaborate black armor, and raven wings extended from his back proudly. When he turned around, we recognized that face beneath the hood. It was Mattias.
The black knight walked forward triumphantly. “I have been accepted as a Knight of the Raven Queen, and will serve her here in the Shadowfell.”
Our jaws collectively dropped.
Mattias spoke. “When you are ready, I shall return you all to the material plane with powers bestowed by my queen.”
We nodded, still speechless. The Raven Knight extended a hand toward the Primordial. “Only Taelim remains.”
I felt my feet take me forward, but my eyes lingered on Mattias, who was brimming with pride. Before I knew it, the Primordial was looking down on me and I shifted uncomfortably at its gaze.
“Your wish?” It spoke to the back of my mind.
“That’s a great question…” I mumbled to myself. Still, it heard.
“Odd that a mortal has nothing it desires.”
My fingers drummed my belt uneasily, and I wondered if I was actually trying the patience of something that could swat me down like an insect. Then my touch found the cylindrical case tucked in my belt, and I glanced down at my father’s sealed scroll.
I held it out before me. “I want to open this.” I offered to the ancient titan.
“You may open anything locked to you. Now goodbye mortal.”
It was an odd sensation, hearing the titan’s words and then suddenly knowing you were capable of something you couldn’t do before. I studied the scroll in my hands, then opened it with ease. I was about to read the parchment when Mattias called my name. I shoved the scroll back in my belt and jogged over.
“Are you ready?” Mattias asked, and I couldn’t help but feel we were now separated from him.
“Can we bring Killian with us?” I replied.
Mattias nodded. “You may, I can place you anywhere you wish to be.”
I paused at the thought, then tried my luck. “Would it be possible for you to place them somewhere else...like Illium?”
Mattias cocked his head at the suggestion. “If you want. Yes.”
I sighed, relieved. Separating us would buy me time. I needed that to think and reflect. I knew I had to go back home, but not just yet. Not until I felt ready to face it.
We made our way back to the treasure horde, and there Killian waited.
The Azure Prince turned around as we entered, arms wide open. “You’ve returned!”
Feeps and I walked toward the Illium crew.
“Did you doubt me?” I responded.
“Hardly,” he folded his arms across his chest. “Any luck?”
Feeps cleared his throat, beckoning the group to draw in close. In a peculiar fashion familiar to all around him, his harpsichord body began to produce notes. He sang a simple song to the melody, entrancing the crew who listened. When he was done, they blinked up at him blankly for a few moments. Then realization sank into each of their faces.
Killian whipped around and barked orders. “Empty your pockets, each and every one of you!” He sheepishly glanced away as he did the same, coins and gems clattering to the floor, freeing them from this place’s bond.
The Azure Prince laughed aloud, slapping Feeps on the back thankfully. “Never was a song more welcome, Master Feeps. You have my thanks, both of you.” He bowed his head low. “Now then, how do we get out of here? I’ve got a ship off the port town south of Stilt Town, it will take us back to Illium.”
Feeps and I exchanged glances. “About that,” I began in a subdued voice, walking away from the crew to talk in private. “We have a way to return you all there immediately. But--”
“But you don’t mean to follow,” he finished, frowning.
“Killian,” I tried,  genuinely contemplating what I could possible say. The truth begged to told, at least part of it. I owed him that much. “My father’s dead.”
The Azure Prince’s shoulders fell. “What? How?!”
“It’s still something I’m trying to work out,” I replied suddenly reminded of the memories I wanted to forget. “We found his body in a tower of his, and he had no desire to come back. We buried him.”
“Princess,” Killian started, seeming torn between concern and duty. “I know I have no right to force you, but you have to return to Illium. Now more than ever.”
I raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong?”
He shifted uncomfortably. “The king hasn’t actually been seen for weeks. When word of that got around, reports of Wroth making their way up the coast quickly reached us. We fear an attack, and someone needs to control the guardian constructs. Your fiancĂ© moved himself into the castle in the meantime...”
I swallowed hard. I wasn’t ready to tell Killian that Jayce Valium had more right to the throne than I did. At best I might be able to persuade my aunt to take the reigns, even if she was well past her  prime. “I just need time, I need to-to…”
“To find Viceak’s killer.” Feeps offered in my stead. “We have a lead. We cannot give up now.”
I resisted the urge to hug the warforged outright.
“Two weeks,” Killian countered quietly. “If you send us back to Illium, it will take me two weeks to sail a ship back to this coast. Will that be enough time?”
“Yes. Otherwise we’ll still come back with you. I promise.”
Killian’s cerulean eyes regarded me silently. A smile spread across his face. “As you wish. Let it be known, I was the first to find you.”
I chuckled softly as we regrouped our parties. Mattias moved to a clear space, and gestured with his hands until a distorted tear between time and space materialized.
The crew walked toward it, one by one disappearing from sight.
Killian faced us before he left. “Two weeks,” he reminded me. “With all due respect, I don’t think I can bear taking orders from your fiancĂ©.”
“He’ll be first on my list to deal with,” I assured, unable to mask the disdain in my voice. “Oh, and one other thing...will you tell my mother?”
The Azure Prince inclined his head. “Of course. No other?”
“No. Not until I get there.”
“She misses you a great deal,” he commented, nearing the portal. “We all did.”
The notion warmed me, and Killian vanished through the portal. The tear sealed up seamlessly behind him.
“You can cry if you want, Taelim,” Zan feigned seriousness, but barely containing his humor.
I growled under my breath, but controlled the urge to wild shape into something I could pounce on him with. We waited for Mattias to start his next portal, which appear almost instantly.
Klotonk walked up to the Raven Knight and extended his hand. “Thanks for your help! I hope you enjoy your new line of work.”
Mattias beamed. “Thank you for saving my life and allowing me to join your party. I pray you’ll excuse me to serve my queen.”
“Why wouldn’t we? When we meet again I’ll have a ton of questions for you.”
“I look forward to it.” Mattias motioned toward the portal. “Be well my friends.”
One by one we took our leave of the Shadowfell, and were teleported back to the abandoned village just outside the graveyard. It took us a moment to realize that night had actually fallen this time.
As we made camp in a secluded church, I took first watch and called Feeps to my side. I produced the open scroll and together we read the contents.

My darling Irielya,
Should this letter reach you, then I’ve likely met my fate by overstepping my bounds. It is a matter I’m sure you wouldn’t concern yourself with. I’ve recently learned the truth of our  daughter, which has led me to plan the worst for Illium. Even you do know only an heir can best protect the kingdom. My sister, Tylda, is of course next in line, however, she has already renounced all claims to the throne in order to run the university. Even so, she is far beyond an age capable of being another heir. Prince Jayce Valium is a distant heir, and likely successor, but I fear his arrogance and self-righteousness might lead the kingdom down a dangerous path. I only wish I saw it sooner, as Taelim had.
There is a third option. My deceased cousin had an illegitimate son, and in secret I have encouraged him to Illium’s side, rearing him to a more dignified path. You know him as the Azure Prince Killian. With his renown, I hardly doubt Illium would deny him the chance. Either way, the council should decide. In truth, I hope Taelim might return and lend her support to either of the choices. How she would have succeeded there. Should she still refuse to return, I requested she inherit my responsibilities with the Magi. From all reports, she has turned into a capable druid. Like Elroar. This leads me to my last point.
In my heartbreak I acted out of line, and for that I beg your forgiveness. Elroar’s recent disappearance has been thanks to my doing. I had a contact in Magaat place him under arrest on false pretenses. I’ve yet to call for his release or transfer. I am truly sorry.
Alas, my time draws near. I wish you nothing but a happy and long life, for I know you will return home to your family and the Green Court. When you and Elroar are undoubtedly reunited, I hope you share the love you didn’t have for me. Goodbye, my wife.

Yours forever,
Viceak

I held the letter in my shaking hands, trying to grasp what I just read. Time to think wasn’t allowed. A roar broke the silence nearby, along with the chorus of approaching feet. I leapt up and roused the rest of the party. We weren’t running from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment